Sunday, February 19, 2006

Pacenti Headed To Rehab

Okay, you can throw out the idea that Palm Beach Post investigative reporter John Pacenti may have been doing “research” for a hard-hitting report when police nabbed him for trying to buy crack cocaine.

And forget any romantic notion that police framed Pacenti because he was getting too close to corruption in the force.

No this one is simple and straightforward: Pacenti has – or, hopefully, had -- a drug problem and his arrest Thursday after work is probably the best thing that could have happened to him.

The reporter, who is out of jail on bond after being charged with a felony, phoned me this weekend and told me he is going to get help. “I’m taking family medical leave and I’m going to seek treatment,” he said, adding that he’s thankful to his newspaper for its support. “I’m taking it one step at a time. I just want to get healthy for my two girls and my wife Charlene and I’m pretty dedicated to that right now.”

Pacenti, whose wife works at the Miami Herald and whose two daughters are ages two and six, didn’t want to discuss his arrest on Division Street, where police say he asked an undercover officer for twenty dollars worth of crack cocaine (or “twenty hard”). He just wanted to tell everybody that he’s devoting his life to healing himself and saving his family.

“My depression took a nasty turn in January and that’s how I got to this point,” Pacenti said.

I'll keep an eye on this, but there's not much else to say. Hopefully the law will allow him to clean up and care for his family. Hopefully the Post will stand by Pacenti all the way and he'll be back writing soon. And hopefully he'll never return to that hellish shit ever again.

Olympic Metals

Who redesigned the medals? Why did someone say, "You know what, Olympic medals need to look like donuts."
And why did someone else have to say, "Great idea, but I think they should look more like CDs, only with giant holes."
"You mean like junk? Brilliant!"
Seriously. I have photographic evidence. Here's what they used to look like:



Regal, classic, beautiful. Right?







And here's what they look like now:

A piece of junk, no? (Okay, this is a "photo illustration," or, to be even more literal, a "picture of a metal washer," but it inarguably helps make the point).

3 Comments:

Anonymous Pisces Trucker said...

That's weird. I was just thinking of what an improvement those new medals were. They look much more modern and sleek. Nice attempt at humor but you got it dead wrong.

Good luck to Pacenti.

12:00 PM  
Blogger Florida Pulp said...

Thanks for the response Pisces Trucker. I thought a lot of people would have something to say about those awful new medals. But I guess I'm in the minority on that one.

2:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

They're heinous and should remain part of the plumbing where they came from.

6:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home