Thursday, February 23, 2006

Fields: Impending KR Sale Influenced Decision

Senior Herald business reporter Gregg Fields, who is leaving the newspaper to start a business journalism program at Florida International University, graciously sent me the Pulp this note on his impending departure from the Herald. As might have been guessed, Fields can be counted as at least a partial casualty of the Wall Street games being played on Knight Ridder:

"I will be leaving the Herald in August, altho' I hope to write guest columns if they want them on economic subjects. And I may even do some freelance editing during breaks, etc., if they're short-handed.

I will have been at the Herald for 19 years as of March 9. As I recall, I wrote a story my first day -- about the problems Chalk's airline was having. My first front-page story was later that week, about how the phone cable to Cuba was disintegrating. For either of those stories, I'm pretty sure not much has changed.

Obviously, the impending sale of Knight Ridder played a part in my decision. The Knight brothers and Alvah Chapman produced an incredible corporate culture, and Jim Batten was just a profound CEO and person. But Wall Street doesn't seem to put much value in journalistic values, I suppose. [Ital added by The Daily Pulp].

On a personal level, the Herald's newsroom is ten-foot deep with bright, funny, talented people and working there provides an intellectual stimulation that probably only a university can match. So my plan is to love my new job as much as I loved my old one. And I'll continue going to Mike's restaurant at the Venetia Plaza every Tuesday for the cheeseburger special, to get my fix of calories and the even more delicious newsroom gossip."

Go to Main Pulp Page for more on Fields, journalism news, opinion, and humor.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Bruce Sherman said...

one down (or two including Judy Miller) and 229 to go ... mewahahahah,mw-mw-hahahahahHAHA!

1:30 PM  
Anonymous J.B. said...

Does Judy Miller figure into every thing that happens in the world of journalism? She worked for NYT. Two different companies.

3:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Um, J.B., actually, you're thinking about Judith Miller. Judy Miller was ME of The Miami Herald who announced this week she's going to AP.

3:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bob Norman has fleas. I'm not kidding. Judy Miller doesn't.

Chazman

7:39 AM  
Blogger Florida Pulp said...

I think there's a profound point hidden in that seemingly puerile flea post. Something about the vacuity of gossip, perhaps.

Or maybe Chazman just wanted to point out that I have fleas, which is only a half-truth at best.

8:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

[url=http://www.blingforfun.com]hip hop jewelry[/url],[url=http://www.blingforfun.com/pendants/cat_9.html]hip hop pendants[/url],hip hop watches,[url=http://blingforfun.com/belts/cat_18.html]bling bling[/url] ,hip hop,[url=http://blingforfun.com/chains/cat_7.html]hip hop chains[/url],hip hop bling,[url=http://blingforfun.com/chains/cat_7.html]iced out chains[/url],[url=http://www.blingforfun.com/chains/cat_7.html]wholesale chains[/url]
hip hop jewelry
wholesale hip hop watches
hip hop rings

5:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home