Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Buddy Strikes Back

Before posting Monday about Sentinel political columnist Buddy Nevins switching parties to the GOP, I sent him an e-mail asking him why he’d done it and if state Rep. Bogdanoff, the Republican who has employed Buddy's his son Aaron for the past two years, had anything to do with it. Turns out the columnist was out of the office through Tuesday and didn’t get my message until yesterday. And he answered the e-mail, asking if I was still interested in his answer. I told him my latest prediction: That he would leave the Sun-Sentinel by the end of the year to work for a Republican politician (we can only hope it's not Dick Cheney). And, since he’s covered more politics than any single reporter in recent Broward County history, I challenged him to shake up the town until the day -- whether it be six months or a decade from now -- that he departs from the Tribune Company.

Here’s what he sent the Pulp:

“If I reveal why I became a Republican, I'm going to do so in my column for my South Florida Sun-Sentinel and Sun-Sentinel.com readers.

You are welcome to continue to speculate. Just spell my name right and mention I work at the Sun-Sentinel.

I will answer two questions:

(1) I have no plans or thoughts about leaving the South Florida Sun-Sentinel and I have talked to no one about leaving.

(2) The conversion has nothing to do with my son Aaron Nevins. Aaron doesn't live at home and doesn't discuss his work with me. He's got his own life. His job with State Rep. Ellyn Bogdanoff was a major surprise to me since she had complained about me to Sun-Sentinel Editor Earl Maucker on more than one occasion.

Keep on blogging.”

There you have it. Now personally, I wouldn't want my son working within 1000 yards of any South Florida politician, Democrat or Republican. It’s a dirty, soul-sucking business. But Buddy is embracing party politics more than ever, according to a couple of sources. I’ve heard he recently addressed a Republican gathering and took the opporturnity to skewer Democrats.

Hopefully he'll write that explanatory column soon -- and let's hope that he takes the challenge seriously.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, Buddy is really over the edge now, his editors should take him off the political beat

8:32 AM  
Anonymous Whitey Fraud said...

What a putz!

9:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How the hell can a major newspaper employ a political writer with obvious biases??? WTF are they thinking at 200 E Las Olas????

10:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home